The predictive LMS application predicts the duration of time required to complete a work task or process. These LMS applications are often sophisticated and may require detailed XYZ location coordinates such that every work task has a travel time that can be calculated based on the associate’s current location in the warehouse. A robust LMS application will enable engineered labor standards to serve as the basis for predicting the time required to perform work tasks. Throughout the day, an associate can be kept informed of their progress versus the expected standard.
The deployment of predictive labor standards typically requires a trained industrial engineering resource who knows the standard number of seconds required to reach into a pick location, to scan a label, to grasp a case, to place the case onto a pallet, to capture any required data into the RF terminal, to travel, etc. Since labor standards can be deployed for any direct labor job functions from receiving through shipping, the industrial engineer relies extensively on experience, and time and motion studies to develop fair standards that are realistically achievable for each work process. In distribution centers with organized labor unions, the engineer must develop labor standards that are negotiated with and accepted by the union.
It is important to understand that LMS applications are highly specialized solutions that can be purchased as standalone best of breed applications or as integrated modules within a suite of supply chain execution or WMS software applications. It is not unusual for engineered labor standards to provide a 10 - 15% productivity increase in high volume distribution centers such that the return on investment can be less than 18 months. The reason for this is simple - people who work in distribution centers appreciate having an understanding of how long it should take to do their job.
MWPVL International, in partnership with our business partners, provides LMS consulting services to companies seeking the benefits of warehouse labor efficiency improvements. MWPVL International works with suppliers, customers and business partners to provide unbiased LMS consulting services that address the following types of questions:
- Which LMS software application is best-suited for our company and financial budget?
- What is the economic business case for investing in a LMS application? What are the total capital investment requirements including internal and external resource requirements? What financial benefits or competitive advantage can our company realistically expect to obtain from a new LMS application?
- What are the main features and functions that our company should expect from a LMS application?
- What are the main differences between the commercial LMS applications available within the market place? Which vendors should our company consider evaluating based on our operating profile and warehouse-specific requirements?
- Is there a structured process that our company should follow when selecting a LMS application to ensure due diligence and to protect our interests?
- MWPVL International provides strictly unbiased consulting services and trusted experience in helping companies with:
- Developing the economic business case and financial justification for a LMS application
- LMS requirements definition and RFP development
- Development of structured software demonstration scripts
- Vendor/solution evaluation and selection
- Software negotiation and acquisition
- Developing the project budget, plan, schedule, internal and external resource requirements for deployment
- Project management